By The Carpet Shoppe | December 20, 2018
On December 14, 1970 Dale Pearce opened The Carpet Shoppe at 1829 E Seminole with the idea that his business would offer Service Beyond Our Customer’s Expectations. At the time, wall to wall carpet dominated all floor coverings and as the name suggests, The Carpet Shoppe initially only sold carpet.
Dale started the company with a few carpet samples selected for builder and commercial clients with no plans for retail customers. Much to Dale’s surprise, retail customers from the Brentwood neighborhood and all over Springfield started visiting.
While carpet was selling well and the store was successful, in the 1980s tastes started to shift to other floor coverings. The Carpet Shoppe expanded into sheet vinyl, hardwood and in 1987, ceramic and stone. The sales of hard surface floors led to featuring area rugs.
Much of the success of The Carpet Shoppe can be attributed to the long-term, highly trained staff of sales people and installers. Many of The Carpet Shoppe’s employees and installers have been with the company 20, 30, even 40 years!
Over the years, The Carpet Shoppe has been selected Associate Company of the Year by the Home Builder’s Association of Greater Springfield, nominated for the Small Business Award from The Chamber of Commerce five times, was a finalist for the Economic Impact Award from the Springfield Business Journal, and awarded Best of 417 by the News Leader several times.
Today, The Carpet Shoppe is still owned by Dale Pearce and has grown into the one of the largest floor covering stores in southwest Missouri. With three business divisions and a dedicated installation staff, the Shoppe can cater to contractors, builders, and residential customers.